- When ants fight, it’s usually to the death!
- Worker ants in a colony are almost always female. Male ants only live a short time, and their only job is to fertilize the queen’s eggs.
- Some queen ants can live for many years and produce millions of offspring!
- Ants leave behind a pheromone trail so that when they are out foraging, they know where they’ve been.
- Queen ants have wings, they shed the wings when they start a new nest.
- Ants don’t have lungs. Ants have tiny holes all over their body thru which oxygen enters and carbon dioxide leaves.
- An ant can lift twenty times its own body weight!
- Ants have no ears. To “hear”, ants sense vibrations in the ground through their feet.
- When the queen of a colony dies, the ant colony usually dies. Queens are rarely replaced and since worker ants are not able to reproduce, the colony collapses.
- There are more than 12,000 species of ants around the world.
What’s not a fun fact? Ants in your home or business. Have an ant problem in your home? Earth Guard Pest Services can assist you by identifying the type of ant or pest problem you have, assessing the best way to eliminate them and prevent future invasions, and help you decide upon the right combination of pest control services for your household or business.
For a free pest assessment and estimate from our licensed, bonded and certified pest control professionals, contact Earth Guard Pest Services online or call (916) 457-7605 or toll-free (877) 328-4468.